[2019] English Threads/Discussions

• Offizieller Beitrag

German below ( ;) )

As we are becoming a more and more international camp, we face the problem of communication in the forum (where ALL our communication apart from 4-6 Teamspeak conferences happens).

I think that the opinion of our non-german-speaking Landsknechts should be heard as well, and that is why I opened this Thread.

How can we assure that members of our camp that do not speak german (or some weird transalpine form of it) can take part of our discussions?

Since google translate isn't always an option, we should maybe consider having a english summary of the discussion at some point?

Maybe try to give a short english translation if you start a thread?

These are all ideas, I would like your opinion (especially if your part of the non-german speaking part of our camp).

Deutsch:

Wir werden als Lager immer internationaler und stehen deshalb vor dem Problem der Kommunikation im Forum (wo nun mal unsere gesamte Kommunikation abseits der wenigen TS Konferenzen stattfindet).

Ich bin der Meinung, dass auch unsere nicht Deutschsprachige Fraktion des Lagers gehört werden sollte, weshalb ich diesen Thread geöffnet habe.

Wie können wir sicherstellen, dass Mitglieder unseres Lagers die kein Deutsch (oder eine merkwürdige Transalpine Version davon) sprechen an den Diskussionen teilnehmen können?

Google Translate ist nicht immer eine Option, weshalb wir vielleicht an einem Punkt in der Diskussion eine englische Zusammenfassung erstellen sollten?

Vielleicht eine Englische Version am Anfang des Threads?

All das sind nur Ideen, ich würde mich über eure Meinung dazu freuen (Besonders wenn ihr Teil der fremdsprachigen Fraktion unseres Lagers seid)

• As for me I mostly go by google translate until the day I will actually learn german. Obviously it's not an ideal solution because often google translate just put in a wild guess for a word, like Sturmhaube became balacklava by some weird magic.
    This is especially frustrating if it happens in the title or the opening post because that's what I go by mostly when I try to figure out if I want to chew trough every comment and it helps with the context.

So for me the greatest help if the title and the opening post is available in english.
    (this would be especially needed where there is a vote / poll)

The periodical english summary while sounds good but I'm not sure that at this moment would be needed in every thread given the amount of non-german players. So far if I had problems and asked then everyone was really helpful be it on the forum or in other back channels (skyep/fb/etc)

"Ever noticed when you see two groups who really hate each other, chances are good that they are wearing different kind of hats. Keep an eye on that, might be important"

• Offizieller Beitrag

(...)
    , like Sturmhaube became balacklava by some weird magic.
    (...)

What's wrong with that? :P

As the one, who's editing and updating a lot of comments every year, I'm pretty sure that it is nearly impossible, to have "all" the important things also in English - especially if I should do it.

But thread titels also in English - that should be a great compromiss. :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think that the moderators necesarily should translated texts themselfs. Anyone could... best would be, if the thread opener includes a short abstact in english. But everyone could help translate, there's the "Moderator informieren" link below every post, where others could include translated texts and the moderators could just edit the first post.
    Just an idea :).

• Thread titles in English already help, thanks. I also usually use google translate but if it sounds bad I check the German version as well. My German is still soooo rusty, have to work on it. Each year I promise myself that I'd use German again but ehh, need more time. :/
    I'll try to be more active here as well, just like Sonir. Also, if we are interested in a certain topic but not sure in it due to google translation, I guess we'll just ask what it's about. But google translation in German still works better than in Hungarian, fortunately.

• Für Englisch-Deutsch èbersetzungen empfehle ich nicht Google zu verwenden sondern deepl.com.
    Die Übersetzungen ins Deutsch sind meiner Meining nach einiges besser. Ich brauche ihn sehr häuffig.
    (Übersetzt mit https://www.deepl.com)

For English-German translations I recommend not to use Google but deepl.com.
    In my opinion the translations into German are much better. I need it very often.
    (Translated with https://www.deepl.com)

Dieser Beitrag wurde gesponsort durch die Brauerei Botterweck. Trink Botterweck Bier!