A talked with a few people here and the idea came up that we could use a Discord server. Maybe.
For those who doesn't know what Discord is, the short version that it's communication software that can manage text, voice and images among other things, easy and widely used, also it's free. Little longer version is here
- Instant messaging which is always good
- Messages doesn't get deleted, if you have enough time you can read back whenever you want
- You can make separate channels (like topics in a forum) and categorize them
- Roles and permissions, admins can manage what channels others could see, etc
- Easy to use on a variety of platforms. There is a desktop version for it, or you can just open it in your browser and there is also a handy phone app.
- Tagging. You can tag a person, or groups which sends a notification, email notifs are also possible as far as I know.
- Because it is easily accessible it could work as a place where people who are interested in our camp can easily contact us in a non-formal way.
- You can get good bots for various stuffs
- Probably there is more, These are the important things I can remember right now.
- With too many people who have way too much free time for chatting it can easily get chaotic. (good structuring of channels can help, but still)
- The taggings and notifs aren't all powerful
- At the end of the day it's still just another platform that people would have to use, and learn how to use.
- No good in-built translator for it, but that's my own grief
So the question is, is there a need for something like this?
hab mal eben einen Server erstellt. Wer Admin Rechte will kann sie haben. Ich moderiere auch nix, dafür sind wir alle erwachsen und ich zu faul.