[2017] Vorstellung - Viki Laukó

• Hi everyone!

I’m Viktória Laukó from Hungary, but I'd rather be called Viki. I haven’t spoken German since secondary school but I’ve already started to brush up on it. However, this little ’report’ of mine would still be in English since it’s much faster for me.

Anyway, this summer there will be a small bunch of incoming Hungarian people, some of whom would like to be part of the Landsknecht camp and accompany Sonir Norend on his mighty duty, if possible. This year would also be my first DrachenFest.

Next month I’d like to order the materials for my Kampfrau/Trossfrau project, so until then I’d like to show you my concept and ask for your opinions. Of course, I’ll upload WIP photos as soon as I’d be able to start working on this outfit.

I’ve studied many woodcuts (~holzschnitte), blogs, articles and some books on this topic, as well as other historical images and descriptions, mainly in German and English. In the end, I’ve decided on making an outfit based on the sources about this historical era around 1520-1540. I’d like to create my outfit based on the following woodcut dated back to ~1535-

I’ve made a 29-page-long summary about the different details with many pictures but it’s in Hungarian and I’m no sure that I should post all of it here. :)
    So I’ll just show the main parts of the concept.

The ’dress’ itself
    The colors of the skirt and bodice would be red and yellow with red being the main color. I will use red and yellow wool for them and they’d be lined with linen. The same linen would be visible through the slashes. I’m not sure about the linen’s color yet – Sonir suggested green. I will use simple '/' slashes as shown on the woodcut. As for the closing, I’ve yet to decide whether to use lacing or hooks and eyes. Which one would be better?
    I’m also thinking about adding some slashes to the elbow parts, too.

(scource: Ehefrau eines Landsknechts ~1530)

The chemise/Hemd
    It would be made of white linen and will have a high neck collar.I’d like to try honeycomb smocking for it as it’s shown on my main woodcut.

Hose and Schuhe
    Would be made of wool, not sure about the color yet. Won’t be striped, they’d be in one color (on the chosen woodcut they are also in one color). I’d also like to add a pair of linen socks, based on Whilja’s. This way the wool would hopefully worn out slower, would last longer. My pair of Kuhmaulschuh would be also made by us, we’ll use leather for it.

(source: Erhard Schön, Schneider und Neterin ~1520/30)

Extra stuff

[li]Head: I’d like to make a birgitta cap, using white linen.[/li]
      [li]Tellerbarret:Would like to use the main woodcut’s concept with ostrich feathers. Maaaaany feathers. :D I’m not sure about the color, yet.[/li]
      [li]Gollar:I’m not sure whether I’d have the time to make a gollar, too, we’ll see. Basically I'd like to create one.[/li]

The pattern
    As for the pattern, I’ve purchased some from Reconstructing History. I’ll use them as the base and make some modifications and editing to match my ideas and concept. I'd like to order my materials, at least the wool at the beginning of next month. We're thinking about stoffe.de, but if you have better suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

That’s it for now. Thank you for reading it and feel free to add any comments or ideas. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

Wow, sounds like you already spent a lot of time. But it sounds great!
    Just a notice: we don't request anyone to be 100% historical correct, so if you wish to do some changes, that's an option too. It just has to fit our Leitfaden.

My dress has hooks and eyes, it works well. But I made a mistake and they are visible, which doesn't look as nice as it should.
    If you don't know her yet, I suggest you to have a look at Katafalks Blog. She has patterns and tutorials for many landsknecht stuff (gollar, hat, chemise as well as honeycomb smoking)

Beginners tip for the hose (Strümpfe): if you have non-strech fabric, you need to cut it on bias, to give the fabric as much strech as possible.

stoffe.de only has what we call "Strickloden", which is not 100% wool and sort of curly and strech. The best seller in Germany is naturtuche.de, which is 100% wool, flat and very nice to sew. But some of the lighter fabrics fray, which should be considered when sewing. Naturtuche is more expensive because the quality is better.

If you don't have any sewing experience, feel free to ask, if you encounter any problems or if you want some backup before you cut the fabric :D.

• Thanks for the suggestion, her blog is really awesome and useful. I'd be able to use her ideas and patterns, glad she has that many progress pics.

As for the wool, I'm considering these two colors:
    https://www.stoffe.de/81-4578-018_walkloden-bordeauxrot.html
    https://www.stoffe.de/81-4578-037_walkloden-senf.html

They are kinda the same that Sonir has, I guess the same materials. They seemed fine in real life, too, but I'll take a look at Naturtuche as well.

Mainly I'm a cosplayer, so this would be another kind of challenge. So I guess I'll have some questions later. :D

• Hey there and welcome to the camp

[quote author=Hubert link=topic=970.msg15154#msg15154 date=1498983818]<br />Jari hat sehr weise Worte geschrieben, finde ich. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />[quote author=Hubert link=topic=1071.msg15676#msg15676 date=1503263873]<br />du Schlingel. ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />https://myspace.com/schillerpitz

• Meanwhile WIP picture of the shoe I'm making for Viki. First attempt at making shoes so it's not that great so far but I realized a few mistakes already.
    If everything goes right I will make similar ones for Tibor and Mark

• Ahoy!

Thank you for your patience so far.
    It's quite a busy month because of our biggest summer convention being held this weekend and a big larp event that we had just last weekend but I'm working on this outfit as well. I will post additional pictures by Friday before our convention, but unfortunately it won't be 100%. The dress itself would be finished but I will only sew the additional underskirt and my tellerbarret next week if I run out of time this week. Hope it would be okay. :)

• This camera takes horrible pictures and totally kills the colours but I've added some more photos of the dress in progress. Some parts are still pinned cause I'm sewing them by hand and it takes some time. Still, I wanted to show you how it'd look and show my concept. In the meantime my skin realised that it's allergic to wool so I have to be tricky while sewing this. I'm really sorry that I'm this slow. :(

https://m.imgur.com/a/BdnuT

• There will be sleeves she just didn't got around to sew them on the dress yet

&quot;Ever noticed when you see two groups who really hate each other, chances are good that they are wearing different kind of hats. Keep an eye on that, might be important&quot;

• Nah, imgur is stupider than it was before. Another album for the sleeve, cause I can't add to the previous ones

http://imgur.com/a/0FL20

The slashes on the arm will be lined with blue linen.
    The blue wool guards have white linen beneath them so the linen would show when I slash the blue stripes.

The front of the dress and the neck of the hemd are closed with hooks and eyes.
    Since I ran out of fabric I had to buy a pair of dark blue knee high woolen socks. They are darker than my main blue color. The shoes are on their way and I'm trying to find a belt.

• Some more progress pics, this time of my Birgitta's cap and tellerbarret. Of course, my wig stand is smaller than my head, so that's why it has the cap over it's eyes.
    Only thing left to do with it is to add some straps to keep it on my head and find out how the feathers look the best.

You can find photos in this gallery:
    http://imgur.com/a/bog7y

• Thank you.
    Yes, fortunately I have 20 feathers, and they are around ~40 cm. Now the top part of the hat is sewn to the brim at the four corners - I might sew it down at a few more points, though, so it could hold the feathers better, and it won't even be visible.