Beiträge von Sonir

Photos of the 2016 year.

Here are mine, although at least a third of it are a little blurry and there is one huge bunch of pictures which are really bad because accidentally I put the camera in a totally different mode without realizing it, but there are a few good ones I hope.
    Feel free to use them however you guys want

https://goo.gl/photos/kaPbfDWVp28ypjbS9

yesterday I was too tired but here are few important thing about the jerkins. (if anyone disagrees feel free to correct me)

I made it out of three pieces as I said previously but you can make it out from more. Like attach a plus shoulder flap from a separate piece seen here: http://germanrenaissance.net/w…sknecht-with-his-Wife.jpg (As far as I know after 1540 the separate shoulder piece was a default for german civilian fashion in leather jerkins but that's civilian stuff not LK)
    Although you can make one with shoulder flaps with just three pieces. OR make the whole thing out of just one piece if you have a big enough leather. Here is a little help about the how to for making it from one piece
    http://germanrenaissance.net/d…leather-vest-ledergoller/

About the sewing I did it with just simply sewing together the pieces... I don't know what is it called in english but it looks like something like this at the end http://highonglue.com/wp-conte…ue.com-step18-600x401.jpg
    which wasn't the most popular way because it will leave a lump where it folds but wasn't unheard of.
    You can do a cross sewing too if you want to, it was more popular back in the day as far as I know

Another kind of important thing is the slashes and the folding out part. You can draw beforehand the cuts but do it with something that you can erase later. Also for the folding out you need to make it wet with a little water after you cut it then fold it out and apply pressure with something hard and smooth and drag it along the line you want it to remain the folding, then it will remain that way after it dried (which will be a few minutes usually) That's how you fold out the edge of the front pieces in the middle too.
    I basically did a lot of cuts too close to the edges and to each other so probably it will tear apart in a few places after greater use but then I will probably just sew it together (or make a new one)
    Also there is a little trick about the cutting part: if you punch a hole at the begining and the end of the cut with an awl it makes it easier to cut the right size and less it will tear later

The leather I used is somewhere around 3 mm thick but according to the pictures and pieces in museums there were both thinner and thicker jerkins so use whatever you like (and IIRC there is at least one picture about a jerkin that's made out of textile instead of leather)

ALSO A VERY IMPORTANT THING IF YOU WANT TO BE AS FASHIONABLE AS POSSIBLE!
    Again according to pictures some of these jerkins were painted. Here is an example:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/402157441699039594/

Also there is a possibility that originally these things were for wearing it under armour as in a lot of pictures the flaps shaped like and go as low as the tassets, but that's just a guess. And another guess is that people back then get these in plain form without the cuttings and then they just cut it up however they wanted.

That's all right now. If you have more question ask it, or if something is not clear

no real patterns. I mean the base for the jerkin is pretty simple and the decoration I did it by hand on the fly.

It really is just put together from three pieces of leather, sewn together at 4 points, the shoulders and the sides. The two front piece is similar and you can see their shape on the first picture, the back piece is pretty simple too, you can also see it on the pics.
    But I can put together some really simple pattern for it when I get home

Also here it how it looks while I'm wearing it, although not with the landsknecht cloths

a little more dicking around and one layer linseed oil later

Also I fucked up the lower part of the back and probably did a few cuts too close to the edges in some places, or too close to each other. Time will tell.
    Anyway, it will get a few more layers of oil after it dries and then it's basically finished

Welcome! I love your banner. I had a good laugh! :)

Thanks, it started as a joke a few years ago and one day I just asked myself: Why not make it real?
    Sometimes I get great ideas like that. Mostly some-when around 4 am

From my side: The thread rests in a grove on the underside of the sole. And the only thing relevant there is whether the leather of the sole itself gets abrased fast or not. I'm not a shoe-expert, but I do have shoes made by experts ;).

Well, that's pretty much what happened, the leather rubbed down pretty fast and then the threads. Temporarily we changed the sole and made it with a little more lap on maybe that will help.

On the other hand it seems like I'm alone with this problem (witch is not entirely surprising as I have few problems with my feet)

meanwhile I started to work on my leather jerkin. Currently it's just sewn together it will need a little adjustment and then cutting out the decorative stuff.
    Is there anything I should watch out for in the patterns? Or specific patterns that only existed in specific regions/time?

the swedish site looks great, although I will have to confirm a few things with someone who actually know swedish as google translate write even more funny things than on this forum.
    the naturtuche.de looks promising too.

Zitat

houldn't fabric be cheaper in Hungary than in Germany?

that was the case maybe 10 years ago. Since then we managed to destroy our textile industry and the few shops that sells actual wool and not some kind of mixture AND on a reasonable price is really hard to find. And even then they usually don't have much. so most of the reenactors around here either use some kind of mixed textile, or buy it at a high price or order it from another country. (Plus I heard that in Poland there are a few places where you can get wool piss cheap but they don't ship to Hungary, so there is that...)
    The stoffe.de site for example is still way cheaper for us than most of the shops here.

On the other hand the leather is actually cheaper here